Second only to the face, hands are the first body part to show significant signs of aging. In fact, many women (and men) who keep their faces looking young via skin treatments, fillers and surgical procedures like facelifts don’t realize that, all the while, their hands prove a telltale feature that belies true age.
Women are particularly prone to aging hands. That’s because menopause causes a drop in levels of estrogen, the hormone that’s key to plump, healthy skin. As estrogen levels diminish, skin on the hands can lose volume, which leads to wrinkling and prominent veins. But that’s not the only factor at play. Here are three additional reasons your hands may look older than you are.
- Dehydration: By adulthood, some 60 percent of our bodies are comprised of water. As we get older, however, our bodies begin to lose lean muscle tissue and the water that the muscle tissue holds. Stress also is a top cause of dehydration, no matter your age. To help alleviate the effects, be sure to drink plenty of water, get adequate rest and keep stress at bay.
- Sun exposure: Nothing saps the moisture from skin like overexposure to the sun’s harsh ultraviolet rays. Sun exposure is a top cause of premature wrinkling, thinning and drying of the skin o your hands, plus brown spots and prominent veins. Avoid being in the sun for extended periods of time and, when you do venture outside, cover up and slather on a high-quality, high-SPF sun screen.
- Second-thought skincare: When it comes to skincare, most people think only of their faces. But failing to give the skin on the rest of your body, especially your hands, can make even the best facial skincare all for naught. If you haven’t already, adopt a full-body skincare routine and pay particular attention to caring for your hands.
If you’re seeing the signs of aging in your once-beautiful hands, Jacksonville’s Parkway Plastic Surgery can help. For more advanced aging, we offer hand rejuvenation via fat grafting. To prevent or keep early signs of aging at bay, we also offer injections of Radiesse, the only FDA-approved product designed to augment the hands, restoring volume loss. And, throughout March, we’re offering a $50-per-syringe special – a steep discount from the regular $650-per-1.5ml syringe cost. Plus, you’ll go home with a complimentary nail polish.
Stop by our Gate Parkway location or call 904-396-1186 to learn more.
We’ve all been told that a primary key to beautiful, healthy skin is to “moisturize, moisturize, moisturize!” Truth be told, it’s not moisturization that truly makes a difference, but hydration. That’s exactly what you’ll get with SkinMedica’s new HA5 Rejuvenating Hydrator.
Simply put, moisturization is the process of making skin FEEL hydrated, while hydration results in an actual increase in the water level in the skin. That’s what truly helps to keep skin plump, firm and smooth, combating the signs of aging.
In this amazing serum’s name, HA stands for hyaluronic acid, a naturally occurring, gel-like fluid in the skin that serves to lubricate the body’s tissue and bind cells together. The 5 refers to the serum’s proprietary mix of five HA forms proven to best smooth the skin, minimizing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. These include:
- Time Release HA, a proprietary ingredient that ensures sustained release of hyaluronic acid throughout the day;
- Sodium Hyaluronate for immediate hydration;
- Uncross-Linked HA for smoothness and hydration;
- Nano HA for further smoothing of the skin;
- Cross-Linked HA for for long-lasting hydration of the skin that continues for up to eight hours.
SkinMedica’s HA5 works by supporting your skin’s natural ability to replenish its own hyaluronic acid throughout the day, holding in moisture and boosting the skin’s resiliency. That’s critical because as we age, our bodies’ ability to produce hyaluronic acid diminishes. In fact, during your 40s, your skin will have lost half of the HA it held at age 20.
Jacksonville’s Parkway Plastic Surgery offers an array of SkinMedica products, plus a range of skin treatments designed to give you smoother, firmer, younger-looking skin. Stop by our Gate Parkway location or call 904-396-1186 to schedule a consultation.
Though the temperatures here in Sunny Florida remain a bit chilly, springtime is just around the corner. If you’ve got varicose veins, make sure you’re ready to don that flirty little sundress or hit the beach in your new bikini with expert sclerotherapy treatment.
Varicose veins form when, for any of a variety of reasons, the veins are unable to keep blood flowing properly. Rather than being pumped back up to the heart, blood can pool backward and collect inside the veins, primarily in the legs and feet. This enlarges the veins, causing them to protrude above the surface of the skin, often creating a blue-hued, twisted look.
A top proven solution is sclerotherapy. This highly effective treatment involves your surgeon injecting a sclerosing agent into varicose vein valves, causing them to collapse, smooth out and ultimately disappear. Most patients see a marked improvement with just one treatment. But typical cases require two to three treatments administered a month apart and full healing can take up to eight weeks.
This means that right now is the perfect time to undergo your first sclerotherapy treatment, assuring you’ll be ready to rock those leg-baring looks when the spring season rolls around. Find out how sclerotherapy can help improve the look and health of your legs by calling Jacksonville’s Parkway Plastic Surgery at 904-396-1186 to schedule a consultation.