According to the American Academy of Dermatology, upward of 161,790 new cases of melanoma will be diagnosed in the United States in 2017 alone. The deadliest and most common form of cancer claims nearly 10,000 American lives per year – a figure that reflects one death per hour. For many across the nation, May’s rising temperatures means the start of lots of days spent outside – and a heightened risk of developing melanoma. That’s why May is designated Skin Cancer Awareness Month, a national campaign designed to educate the masses on the risks and leading causes of melanoma.
The leading cause of melanoma is exposure to UV light and sunlight, accounting for some 90 percent of cases. Many, particularly teens and young adults, erroneously believe that tanning beds offer a safe alternative. In fact, exposure to tanning beds before age 30 can boost a person’s risk of developing melanoma by 75 percent.
To protect your skin from the dangers of melanoma and sun-induced premature aging, limit your time in the sun, particularly between 10am and 4pm when the sun’s rays are strongest, and skip tanning beds altogether. When you do venture out, wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF (sun protection factor) of at least 30 every day. A top choice is Revision Skin Care’s Intellishade, an SPF 45 sunscreen, anti-aging moisturizer and sheer tint with a powerful wrinkle-reducing peptide.
If your skin already is showing signs of sun-induced aging, there are ways to correct the damage. Consider a chemical peel or microdermabrasion. Both are customized, noninvasive treatments that gently but effectively remove the damaged outer layers of skin, revealing a smoother, tighter, younger-looking complexion.
To schedule your restorative skincare consultation or peruse our top-shelf products, call 904-396-1186 or stop by our Southside location on Gate Parkway.
Springtime marks the beginning of one of the busiest travel seasons in the United States, starting with spring break and continuing through the carefree summer months. While you may be looking forward to a break, don’t let time away from the day-to-day put a damper on your skincare routine. Jacksonville’s Parkway Plastic Surgery offers these top tips for maintaining excellent care of your complexion while on the road.
- Prepare ahead of time: If your travels will take you to a locale with a significantly different climate that the one to which you and your skin are accustomed, know that you may need to tweak your skincare routine. For instance, a more humid climate may call for a lighter cleanser and moisturizer, while thicker, cream-based options work best in a cooler, dryer area. Do a little research and pack accordingly.
- Pack the essentials: When packing for a trip, make sure to pack all of your skincare essentials, including cleanser, toner, moisturizer and sunscreen. If you’re flying to your destination it’s a good idea to pack skincare items and a change of clothing in your carryon bag in the case of an unexpected layover or misrouted checked luggage. Just be mindful of TSA requirements that liquid cosmetics be held in re-sealable containers of 3.4 ounces or less and packed in a clear, plastic, re-sealable 1-quart-sized bag.
- Skip the foundation: Your skin needs an occasional break just as much as you do. Pamper it and still look great with a high-quality tinted moisturizer and refresh with a periodic spritz of mineral water for a few days instead.
- Hydrate: The dry air inside a car, bus, plane or train can sap the moisture from your skin, particularly during long routes. Slather on the moisturizer before heading out and drink plenty of water throughout your trip.
- Get your beauty rest: Often, we pack so much into our travel schedules that we return home needing a post-vacation vacation. Be sure to schedule a bit of beauty rest during your travels and return in time to recover a bit before heading back to work.
One surefire way to know you’ll look your best during your travels is to take advantage of Parkway Plastic Surgery’s Parkway Peel Package. For just $375, you’ll get three chemical peels and one microdermabrasion session, and go home with a travel-size facial cleanser and sunscreen. Call 904-396-1186 to schedule your initial consultation today.
September is a great time to begin gearing up for the holiday season. If you’re already planning party menus, picking out Halloween costumes and shopping for Christmas or Hanukkah gifts, you’re ahead of the game. Just make sure that your look is ready, too.
Here are three top ways to glam up your look for the holiday season:
- A chemical peel: A customized chemical peel can help clear away the signs of sun damage built up over the summer by removing the damaged outer layers of skin and leaving you with a smoother, tighter, more polished complexion. Formulas can be tailored for your particular skin condition and are highly effective for treating acne, wrinkles, freckles, age spots, liver spots and scars. Depending upon the strength of the chemical peel formula you choose downtime may be minimal.
- Microdermabrasion: Another non-invasive way to get a more polished look is microdermabrasion. Your skincare specialist will use a minimally abrasive instrument to gently sand the skin, removing its thicker, uneven outer layer and revealing newer, younger skin. It’s a top solution for treating light scarring, discoloration, sun damage and even stretch marks. It also helps to boost the body’s natural production of collagen, the protein that helps keep skin firm, smooth and youthful.
- Botox or dermal fillers: Injectables like Botox, which helps to relax overactive facial muscles, and dermal fillers like Radiesse, Juvederm and Restylane are among the quickest and most effective ways to smooth wrinkles, plump hollows, erase under-eye circles and minimize the appearance of scars.
Ready to vamp up your holiday look? Call 904-396-1186 to schedule a consultation at Parkway Plastic Surgery.