Multiple studies have proven that a great smile is key to making a lasting, positive first impression. So, when those telltale lip lines begin to emerge, it’s time to do something about them.
The first step in keeping your lips healthy, plump and youthful is to understand just what causes lip lines to form in the first place. Topping the list of culprits are:
- Sipping through a straw: If you drink with a straw daily, know that the repetitive pursing motion of the lips can result in permanent creases and lines around the mouth. Ditch the straw and drink from a wide-mouthed cup or glass instead.
- Smoking: As with drinking from a straw, puffing on a cigarette also requires those line-inducing repetitive pursing motions. But smoking packs a double whammy to the look and health of your smile. That’s because smoking has a drying effect on the skin that accelerates the formation of wrinkles and loss of skin tone, not to mention a yellowing of teeth. Smile lines are just one of many reasons to break the habit.
- Sun exposure: Spending too much time in the sun exposes your skin to UV radiation – another factor that damages collagen and elastin in the skin. Limit your time outside and always wear a high-SPF sunscreen, even on cool days.
- Chronic dehydration: Failing to drink plenty of water or juice each day can cause our lips to dry out and form lines. But your cosmetics may also be to blame. Lip products that contain waxes, wax derivatives, petroleum or other barrier ingredients help to seal moisture into the lips, at least initially. But after prolonged periods and buildup, they also can work against you, instead barring moisture from entering the lips.
- Age: As we age, our skin loses collagen and elastin, two major components of youthful skin that give it a smooth, plump appearance. Drinking plenty of water and eating collagen-boosting foods like lean proteins, dark-hued vegetables and citrus fruits will help ward off lip lines and other age-induced wrinkles.
If you’re already seeing unsightly lip lines form, there’s good news. Jacksonville’s Parkway Plastic Surgery can help reverse the signs of aging and damage, restoring a smooth, plump, youthful smile with customized Juvederm or Restylane treatments. Call 904-396-1186 to schedule your consultation.
September is a great time to begin gearing up for the holiday season. If you’re already planning party menus, picking out Halloween costumes and shopping for Christmas or Hanukkah gifts, you’re ahead of the game. Just make sure that your look is ready, too.
Here are three top ways to glam up your look for the holiday season:
- A chemical peel: A customized chemical peel can help clear away the signs of sun damage built up over the summer by removing the damaged outer layers of skin and leaving you with a smoother, tighter, more polished complexion. Formulas can be tailored for your particular skin condition and are highly effective for treating acne, wrinkles, freckles, age spots, liver spots and scars. Depending upon the strength of the chemical peel formula you choose downtime may be minimal.
- Microdermabrasion: Another non-invasive way to get a more polished look is microdermabrasion. Your skincare specialist will use a minimally abrasive instrument to gently sand the skin, removing its thicker, uneven outer layer and revealing newer, younger skin. It’s a top solution for treating light scarring, discoloration, sun damage and even stretch marks. It also helps to boost the body’s natural production of collagen, the protein that helps keep skin firm, smooth and youthful.
- Botox or dermal fillers: Injectables like Botox, which helps to relax overactive facial muscles, and dermal fillers like Radiesse, Juvederm and Restylane are among the quickest and most effective ways to smooth wrinkles, plump hollows, erase under-eye circles and minimize the appearance of scars.
Ready to vamp up your holiday look? Call 904-396-1186 to schedule a consultation at Parkway Plastic Surgery.
A recent poll of 1,000 18- to 50-year-old men and women revealed just how important a great smile is to one’s career, social and love life.
Among the findings:
- 94 percent of survey respondents say they’re likely to notice a person’s smile the first time they meet;
- 75 percent consider great smiles as in important feature when trying to attract the opposite sex;
- 71 percent believe that people with nice smiles have an easier time making friends;
- And 64 percent perceive people with attractive smiles as being more outgoing that others – often a critical consideration in job interviews.
So, how do you achieve and maintain a more beautiful smile? Jacksonville’s Parkway Plastic Surgery offers these tips:
- Moisturize: Use a high-quality lip moisturizer daily and keep a tube with you while out and about. Avoid petroleum-based lip balms and look instead for ingredients such as natural beeswax, almond oil or vitamin E.
- Hydrate: Moisturize from within by drinking plenty of water and eating lots of fruits daily.
- Break bad habits: Smoking can do a real number on your lips. Repetitious movement causes tiny vertical lines around the lips, and nicotine can darken or discolor lips. Because caffeine components are known to blacken lip tissue, avoid or minimize your coffee and tea intake.
- Avoid sun exposure: Lips have a very thin layer of skin – far thinner than skin covering other parts of the body. They also have very little melanin, the pigment that helps protect skin tissue against the sun. As a result, lips can burn easily. Plus, sun exposure can negatively impact the production and maintenance of collagen, the naturally occurring protein that helps to keep skin supple.
- Volumize: If your lips are showing signs of aging or sun damage, consider a rejuvenating procedure like Juvederm or Restylane to return lost volume and diminish fine lines surrounding your lips.
Get your lips kissably healthy with a visit to Jacksonville’s Parkway Plastic Surgery. Call 904-396-1186 to schedule a consultation.