June is Men’s Health Month, a nationwide initiative aimed at raising awareness of preventable health problems and encourage early detection and treatment of disease among men and boys. If you’re looking to improve your health, why not begin with your skin? After all, first impressions can be critical for success in a range of situations from social to career to romantic.
Parkway Plastic Surgery offers these tips for getting great looking skin:
- Take a cue from your lady: For many men, skincare products are limited to a bar of soap and a cheap razor. But for truly healthy, young-looking skin, you might want to take a cue from the women in your life – sort of. A thorough skincare routine should include a cleanser, toner and moisturizer, and there are many top-quality product lines that offer products tailored just for men.
- Shave smart: First, choose the right razor for your skin, particularly if you have coarse or curly hair or hair that grows in different directions – that means you’re more prone to ingrown hairs. Choose a razor with just two or three blades. Also, always lather up to shave, as dry shaving can cause friction that leads to cuts, acne and ingrown hair. And most of all, shave with, not against the direction of hair growth to avoid inflammation.
- Minimize sun exposure: Not only will this help ward off wrinkles that can quickly add years to your look, but being smart about sun exposure can help avoid skin cancer. Each year in the US, upward of 47,000 men are diagnosed with melanoma and the disease kills some 6,750 men. Wear a high-SPF sunscreen daily.
- Take it up a notch: Chemical peels, microdermabrasion, Botox and dermal fillers aren’t just for women. Men increasingly are choosing these and other cosmetic procedures to help keep them looking as young as they feel. In fact, the latest statistics show that more than 385,000 Botox procedures are administered to male patients each year.
- Go all in: Men also increasingly are undergoing cosmetic surgeries, too. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, in 2015 53,248 men underwent rhinoplasty; 29,906 opted for eyelid surgery; 11,963 got facelifts.
Celebrate Men’s Health Month with a skin health and confidence boost. Call Jacksonville’s Parkway Plastic Surgery at 904-396-1186 to schedule a consultation today.
Check out our Gentlemen’s Facial special available throughout June.