Recently released results of a biggest-of-its-kind, global study reveal a shift in the primary underlying reasons that women opt for cosmetic surgeries and other procedures. While a younger look once topped the reasons for undergoing these procedures, a sense of confidence now gets equal billing, too.
The study was commissioned by Allergan, the Dublin-based global medical aesthetics company and the maker of Juvéderm® facial fillers. Researchers surveyed upward of 8,000 women living in 16 countries and found that the desire to boost self-confidence today is considered equally as important as aesthetics as a factor in choosing beauty treatments. Titled The Changing Face of Beauty: A Global Report, the study shows that today’s health-savvy women increasingly seek to control how they look as a way to change how they feel as an individual, researchers say.
The study included a survey of women from throughout the US, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, South Korea, Spain, Thailand, Turkey and the United Kingdom. Here’s what they reported:
- 42 percent say that self-confidence is equally as important as improving the aesthetics of sagging skin;
- 74 percent make the effort to look good primarily for themselves;
- 37 percent do it for their romantic partners;
- 15 percent are influenced to look good by their friends;
- 63 percent consider general beautification as a top motivator;
- 50 percent remain primarily driven by the goal of addressing signs of aging (this is true of women from every area except China, where changing or enhancing a specific feature was the key trigger).
- 56 percent say that skin quality and complexion are as important as body shape.
- To that end, 65 percent agree that facial fillers are more socially acceptable than they were five years ago.
“What is especially exciting about this new research is the discovery that women around the world are united by an increasing desire to control how their looks evolve with time,” says Caroline Van Hove, Senior Vice President, International Medical Aesthetics at Allergan. “And whether through photography filters, makeup or aesthetic procedures, investing in beauty is their way of positively influencing their image.”
If you’re seeking a healthy confidence boost via professionally performed cosmetic procedures, Jacksonville’s Parkway Plastic Surgery can help. Call 904-396-1186 to schedule a consultation.