For years, breast augmentation has consistently been the most popular cosmetic surgery, with nearly 280,000 women in the United States opting for the procedure in 2015 alone. But a few persistent myths about breast augmentation keep many women from seriously considering this safe, effective procedure that lends a fuller, more proportionate look to the figure.
Here are five top misconceptions about breast implants – and the truths that debunk them:
- They’ll be obvious: Lots of women want breast implants, but many don’t necessarily want everyone to know that their look has been surgically enhanced. The carefully selected shape, size and placement of breast implants by a skilled surgeon can assure you a natural look.
- Implants must be replaced every few years: On average, the majority of breast implants last anywhere from 10 to 20 years without complications, and many last a lifetime. Recent reports by the US Food and Drug Administration show that as few as one in five women will have their implants repaired or replaced within a decade of the original surgery.
- They don’t move: Many prospective patients want to be assured of not only a natural look, but also a natural feel and movement of their augmented breasts. Today’s silicone implants are particularly effective, offering a softer feel and bouncier movement that more closely mimics natural breast tissue than earlier implants.
- I won’t be able to breastfeed: Not so. Professionally performed breast augmentation won’t affect the direct relationship between the breast glands/ducts and the nipple. However, certain factors may affect how easy breastfeeding will be for you and your baby. These factors include placement of the implant between the breast tissue and chest muscle or under the chest muscle, as well as the type and placement of incisions. Talk with your surgeon about whether you plan to have children and breastfeed in the future.
- I’ll have to drastically change my lifestyle: As with any surgical procedure, you’ll have a few limitations placed on you in the weeks immediately following your procedure. You’ll want to avoid exercise and other strenuous activities, and you’ll likely want to take a week off from work. But once you’ve recovered, you’ll be able to go back to your normal routine.
If you’re considering breast augmentation, don’t let the myths and misconceptions sway your decision. Call 904-396-1186 to schedule a consultation with Parkway Plastic Surgery today.
- Botox $10/unit- Not ready for your treatment? Bank your Botox to use at a later date.
- $50 off any full syringe of facial fillers
(reg price Juvederm $600- Radiesse $650- Voluma $800)
- Buy a Skin Medica TNS Essential Serum & receive a FREE Illuminize chemical peel
(value of peel $95).
- Latisse is now BOGO! Purchase a 5ml kit and receive a mail in rebate for a free 3ml kit.
Join us Tuesday, November 15th from 9am-3pm. We will be introducing our new skin care product additions from the Revision skin care line. Enjoy 20% off of Revision products. Sign up for a complimentary application of our Finishing Touch microdermabrasion scrub or Black Mask purifying facial mask. Leave with a goody bag and entry into our product raffle just for attending.
Appointments are required for services. Call 904-396-1186 to schedule
Most think of Botox as the go-go solution to minimize or even get rid of existing wrinkles. But a growing demographic of skincare clients are opting for the procedure long before wrinkles are due to appear. According to research from the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, there has been a 41 per cent increase in Botox treatments in the 19-to-34 age group from 2011 to 2015.
Figures from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, a similar organization, back that claim. ASPS statistics show that last year, 6.7 million Botox procedures were performed. Among them, some 100,000 were performed on patients in their 20s. Yet another organization, the America Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, confirms that 64 percent of plastic surgeons nationwide report an increase in patients younger than 30 requesting Botox and other aesthetic procedures last year.
“We are seeing a younger demographic than ever before seeking consultations and treatments with facial plastic surgeons all over the country,” AAFPRS President Dr. Edwin Williams, II said in a press release. “The prevalence of non-invasive procedures like lasers, peels and injections are making it even more appealing for young people to dip their toe in to aesthetic enhancements before aging is even a concern.”
Botox works by relaxing the muscles used in making facial expressions, smoothing out the lines that form over years of repetitive muscle contraction. Recent research suggests that over time, Botox can help the body not only heal existing wrinkles, but also help prevent the formation of future wrinkles. One study followed a pair of twin sisters over a period of 13 years, one of whom underwent Botox treatment three times a year while the other received injections just once a year. As you might suspect, the sister who received more injections had noticeably fewer and less defined facial lines and crow’s feet at the end of the study.
Why wait until the signs of aging already mark your face? You can easily and affordably battle aging head-on with smaller injections earlier or on, assuring that your look will always be smooth, healthy and youthful. Call Jacksonville’s Parkway Plastic Surgery today to find out if Botox is right for you. Reach us at 904-396-1186.