A growing number of men are choosing abdominoplasty for a smooth, trim midsection. But looks aren’t the only reason.
Once considered primarily the domain of women, plastic surgery today is embraced by male patients, too. Among the procedures that men increasingly are choosing is abdominoplasty, better known as the tummy tuck. In fact, the number of men getting this procedure each year has grown 100 percent since 2000.
Abominoplasty is a surgery of the abdomen that involves removal of excess skin and fat and tightening of the abdominal muscles. Though it’s primarily considered a cosmetic procedure, there are several health reasons behind the choice, too. Here are the top three reasons that men undergo abdominoplasty.
- Diastasis recti repair: Normally, the left and right halves of the abdominal muscles are joined in the middle to create one solid abdominal wall. However, a condition called diastasis recti can develop, causing a separation of those two halve and creating a vertical ridge-like gap that runs down the center of the belly area. In men, heavy lifting, weight lifting, sudden weight gain typically are to blame (the condition also can develop in women as a result of pregnancy). Though diastasis recti isn’t dangerous, it can be unsightly. An abdominoplasty can effectively address the issue by closing the gap in the muscles and rebuilding a solid abdominal muscle wall.
- Hernia repair: A hernia occurs when an organ pushes through an opening in the muscle or tissue that holds it in place. Contributing factors can include muscle weakness caused by age, chronic coughing or damage from an injury or surgery, plus constipation, fluid in the abdomen, heavy lifting or sudden weight gain. Men are far more likely to develop abdominal hernias, which can be intensely painful and are treatable only via surgery. Trouble is, hernia surgery can create a lumpy or uneven appearance to the stomach. An abdominoplasty can help restore a smoother stomach.
- Significant weight loss: Formerly obese men who have successfully lost weight via a healthy diet and exercise often are unpleasantly surprised to find that while the fat has disappeared, excess stomach skin remains. An abdominoplasty helps to remove the unsightly, sagging left-behind skin, restoring a tight, taught and smooth look.
If you’re a man considering a tummy tuck, don’t let preconceived notion that it’s a woman’s procedure stop you from getting the help you need to get a great look and restore your confidence. Call Jacksonville’s Parkway Plastic Surgery at 904-396-1186 to schedule a consultation.
Breast augmentation and breast lifts offer different results.
Breast augmentations are top surgical cosmetic procedure, with more than 286,254 performed in 2014. But an augmentation isn’t always the optimal choice, depending upon the condition of our breasts and your desired outcome. Though less common, breast lifts also can be an effective choice.
Here’s how to choose whether a breast augmentation, breast lift or a combination of the two is the best option for you.
Choose breast augmentation alone if:
- Your breast drooping is mild.
- Your nipples remain near the center of your breast but do not point downward.
- You have visible skin beneath the nipple/areola when looking at your breasts straight on.
- You want to increase your breast size by at least one cup size.
Choose a breast lift if:
- Your breast drooping is moderate or severe.
- Your nipples are at the bottom of your breasts or they point downward.
- You have no visible skin beneath the nipple/areola when looking at your breasts straight on.
- You’re already a C or D cup and do not want to increase your cup size.
- You want to reduce your areola.
Choose a combination of the two procedures if:
- You want to increase your breast cup size and reduce drooping.
- You want to maintain projection and roundness of the breast mound.
- Your breast drooping is severe.
If you’re considering a breast procedure, call 904-396-1186 and schedule a consultation at Jacksonville’s Parkway Plastic Surgery. Our board certified surgeons will go over all the considerations involved to help assure you’ll make just the right choice for your new look.
An abdominoplasty can help give you a slim, flat tummy.
If dieting and sit ups aren’t giving you the slim, flat, tight tummy you’ve been wanting, an abominoplasty may be the answer. Informally known as a “tummy tuck,” this procedure is designed to flatten your stomach by removing extra fat and skin and tightening the muscles in your abdominal wall.
While it’s simple in theory, understand that an abdominoplasty is a major surgery and your decision to undergo one should be carefully thought out. In fact, it should be considered only after you’ve tried other measures and most certainly should not be perceived as an alternative to natural weight loss efforts like working out and eating sensibly.
The best candidates for abdominoplasty are those who are in good overall health. It’s an effective option for formerly obese patients who still have excessive fat deposits or loose skin in the abdominal area, and for mothers whose muscles and skin have been stretched by multiple pregnancies.
Abdominoplasty is not for women who still plan to have children. That’s because during surgery, your vertical muscles are tightened and future pregnancies can separate these muscles. Also, know that even the most precise of surgeries may leave you with permanent scarring.
If you’re considering abdominoplasty, a call to Jacksonville’s Parkway Plastic Surgery should be your next step. During your initial consultation, which should take about an hour, we’ll go over all questions, concerns and expectations to help decide whether a tummy tuck is the best option for you. Call 904-396-1186 to schedule an appointment.