Blepharoplasty, more commonly known as eyelid surgery, is among the most popular cosmetic procedures chosen by both women and men. Statistics from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons’ 2014 Plastic Surgery Statistics Report, 206,509 eyelid surgery procedures were performed last year alone. In fact, it ranked fourth among the top surgeries performed in 2014, topped only by breast augmentation, nose reshaping and liposuction procedures.
While the most common reason for undergoing eyelid surgery likely is to achieve a younger look, benefits can go far beyond aesthetics. Here are the top benefits patients report:
- No more bags: Blepharoplasty can reduce or remove those loose skin “bags” that appear just under your eyes as you age or as a result of prolonged stress or lack of sleep. The result is a younger, less tired look.
- Improved vision: Puffy, drooping eyelids can actually block a portion of your vision if they hang low enough over the upper edge of your eyelid. Surgery can remove the excess skin, leaving you with a tighter, firmer, minimized lid that will have you seeing more clearly.
- Wrinkle reduction: While eyelid surgery won’t completely eliminate deep wrinkles around the eyes, it can smooth those fine surface wrinkles that can belie your true age or make you look older than you are.
- Confidence boost: Expertly performed eyelid surgery lends a more youthful, healthy, rested and less stressed look that can prove a significant confidence and self-esteem boost.
One survey of 1,000 men and 1,000 women revealed that the eyes were the first feature noticed in the opposite sex by both men and women. In fact, a full 70 percent of men said it’s a woman’s eyes that catch their gaze before any other physical feature.
If your eyes are making you look older than you feel, eyelid surgery may be the answer. Call Jacksonville’s Parkway Plastic Surgery at 904-396-1186 to schedule a consultation today.
Long considered the domain of women, cosmetic surgery has been gaining serious ground among men over the past decade. Statistics from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons show that male patients underwent 204,611 plastic surgery procedures in 2014 – a figure that represents 13 percent of the total 1,568,714 performed throughout the year.
Topping the list of cosmetic surgeries most requested by men last year are:
- Nose reshaping (rhinoplasty) – 54,680
- Eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty) – 29,402
- Breast reduction (gynecomastia) – 26,175
- Liposuction – 24,327
- Face lift (rhytidectomy) – 11,851
While most male patients choosing plastic surgery are older men looking to turn back time, so to speak, younger men increasingly are opting for procedures aimed at staving off the signs of aging before they take hold. Also popular among men are less invasive options including Botox and chemical peels.
If you’re a man looking to boost your skin’s health and improve your overall look, Jacksonville’s Parkway can help. Call 904-396-1186 to find out how we can help you look as young as you feel.
While breast augmentation surgery remains the number one cosmetic plastic surgery procedure year after year, a growing number of women are going the other direction in their quest for a beautifully proportioned figure. Statistics from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons show that 41,309 women underwent breast reduction surgery in 2014.
Among the top reasons that women choose breast reduction procedures are:
- Pain relief: A pair of D-cup breasts can weigh upward of 15 to 23 pounds. The constant, front-heavy weight of large breasts have been linked to multiple physical ailments including back aches, neck pain even migraine headaches and numbness in the fingers.
- Shoulder grooves: Speaking of weight, heavier breasts mean constant downward pressure inside bra cups. This pull can cause bra straps to dig into the wearer’s shoulders causing painful grooves or even cuts to the skin.
- Skin discoloration: Often, the skin in the area where a heavy breast folds over and where a bra sits can, over time, form permanent red or brown marks where blood essentially gets trapped. Also, should a rash or sore form, it can take longer to heal because of the lack of air flow.
- Poor posture: The combination of weight and back or shoulder pain can do a number on a woman’s posture, causing her to hunch forward. This only serves to further worsen middle and upper back and neck pain.
- Sagging breasts: Heavy breasts are more prone to sagging as we age. It’s simply a matter of gravity and it’s not attractive. While a breast lift will help, a breast reduction may also be necessary to restore a youthful look.
- Unwanted attention: It’s no secret that large breasts can attract the attention of less-than-tactful individuals. Many women considering breast reduction list rude or suggestive comments, intrusive looks or unwanted advances among the factors influencing their decisions.
- Clothing assortment: Some forms of clothing, including tank or strapless tops, sundresses and clothing made of delicate fabrics are difficult to wear comfortably with larger, heavier breasts. Smaller, lighter breasts can afford a woman a wider array of fashion options.
- Confidence: A high percentage of women who undergo breast reduction report feeling more confident after their procedures. Often, this clears the way for healthier lifestyles, as women find it easier to exercise and live more active lifestyles.
If your breasts are causing you pain, posture or confidence issues, a breast reduction procedure may help. Call Jacksonville’s Parkway Plastic Surgery at 904-396-1186 to schedule a consultation.